When we hired people coming to install the concrete border for us about one and half month ago, the workers did not follow the curve of the original front yard bed. The result was that the bed got expanded by one foot length wise. I have to say that I love this unexpected surprise. In addition, I asked the extra grass area at the right to be included within the border.
Here is a picture of this same area from last June. Notice we have changed the exterior color and the front door color since then. I am not a big fan of a pink house :)
This front bed was the only area in this house that had some mature landscape before we moved in. On this flower bed, from the back to the front, three palm trees, Crape Jasmine bush in the middle, Ixora bushes, crotons, sago palm with Acalypha reptans (Dwarf Chenille) as ground cover underneath. Between the crotons and sago palm, there were something similar to Split Leafed Philodendron but much smaller, only 1 to 2 feet tall. I used to see the names somewhere, but could not remember it now. Two colors of stones were separated by the black border, with the dark red stones inside and the lighter color outside.
After the border was installed, I did the west side garden first, and I knew this front garden area would be the next one that I want to put my hands on. Thanks for the day light saving time, I was able to find more time after work to start working on this front bed before the spring break. Last week was kids' spring break, and I took two days off. Except for the two visits to some local historical places with family, we used most of the time to finish the front yard.
With all these activities, I cut the blogging time completely for the last five days. I am glad that today I can come here to have a garden update.
While I love to experiment different plants in the backyard for different seasons, I want the front yard to have a more "designed" look, low maintenence, and yet still provides enough interests and colors throughout all seasons.
The grasses were removed, weed-block sheets were laid on before husband carried white marble chips on the outer half of this bed.
Here is the finish look of the front garden.
Two out of three big boulders were moved outward to match the wider bed and make them more standing out. Two ground orchids, two agaves and various bromeliads were planted against red stones or white marble chips to show the colors and stay low maintenance.
For the new area at the right corner, I have been picturing a welcome pot with plants trailing down for a while in my mind. Finally we found the welcome pot at a local store, and I planted Aptenia cordifolia 'Red Apple' into it. Since Aptenia cordifolia 'Red Apple' has been established in another container for a while, so that trailing effect was immediately achieved. More bromeliads and one crown of thorns were spreaded around the pot.
Most of "new" plants in this bed were moved from other areas of my garden except for the following three: Aechmea 'Mend', one unknown bromeliad, and one crown of thorn with large flowers.
Oh, I also found this cast iron blue bird stake in a store over the weekend, perfect for this corner too!
I probably will plant more bromeliads or other plants with foliage interests into the white stone area of this bed, but for now I consider this bed is "finished". Since the day we finished it, I could not help walking around it again and again, feeling proud of this new design of my garden area. I am sure you all felt the same thing when those pictures that have stayed in your mind for a while are finally becoming true!
I think by now, our neighbours should have known the lady living in this house love gardening since they have seen me working on this front bed to move the plants around almost every night for quite a while now :)
Spring is here, YAY! Now I can play more plants in the back yard...